Can your diet help protect against Covid-19?
We still have much to learn about Covid-19 yet evidence is building about the key role diet can play in our immune health.
The renowned Dr Michael Mosley has written a book about Covid-19 and has this week highlighted the importance of diet, with a specific focus on gut health (our gut microbiome) and the role it plays in our immune health.
At Eight we are passionate about good nutrition, and are happy to read that Dr Mosley's guidelines mirror our 8 key principles :-
1. Our meals contain no nasties. He recommends limiting processed food as much as possible as additives & emulsifiers negatively impact your gut microbiome
2. We pack at least 3 of your 5 a day into each of our meals. Eat a wide variety, particularly of vegetables & fruit as these provides a wider variety food source for your gut microbiome.
3. We focus on lean meat, fish, legumes & including plenty of veggies across our whole range. Dr Mosley determines that the Mediterranean Diet is the most beneficial for your gut bacteria.
4. Our Fabulous Fish Pie contains 2 types of nutritious seaweed. As he states, seaweed is an excellent prebiotic packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids.
5. All our meals contain a generous quantity of quality protein. Dr Mosley advises eating decent amounts of protein such as oily fish (salmon, mackerel), seafood, chicken, some red meat, eggs, tofu, beans, pulses, dairy and nuts. Try our Super Fishcakes.
6. We never compromise and always use organic full-fat dairy in our Fabulous Fish Pie. He advises focusing on healthy fats such as olive oil, salmon, tuna, full-fat dairy, avocado, nuts and seeds.
7. All our meals are fibre rich. He suggests swapping white pasta & rice for wholegrains and pulses which are rich in fibre. Why not try our Lentil Shepherds Pie, Chilli Con Carne, Coconut Chickpea Curry, Sri Lankan Dhal with fibre rich pulses?Again, the good bacteria in your gut will thrive on the fibre in these foods.
8. Focus on variety. Eat a wide variety of dark green and coloured veg for both vitamins & minerals as well as useful fibre to help your gut bacteria thrive. Click here to see our full range.