As I write this, our country is on lockdown and in the grip of a worldwide pandemic. Many of us find ourselves unexpectedly catering for all the family three times a day, plus snacks!
We know how challenging it can be to come up with creative and nutritious meals for the family at the best of times, and so we’ve pulled together some of our favourite lunchtime recipes for you to try at home – all of which will become family favourites beyond the Coronavirus crisis, at least we hope so!
Each one is packed with nutrients, really delicious and relatively quick and easy to make. Many of the ingredients are store cupboard staples and should (hopefully!) be easy to find in your local shops.
1. Sweet Potato Frittata– very tasty and perfect to cook in advance for a picnic lunch in the garden
2. Coconut Dahl- we love this served topped with a fried egg, or some toasted cashews & greens
3. Baked Falafels- Falafel are packed with protein, fibre and calcium from the chickpeas, as well as immune- and digestion-supporting herbs and spices. We love to wrap them on a bed of pickled beetroot and top them with fresh coriander, sliced avocado and ribbons of carrot and cucumber. Then just drizzle and enjoy!
4. Butternut Chilli Coconut Soup– warming and refreshing, this is a year-round soup, not just for the colder months
5. Potato Curry - this is one of the easiest recipes. There is usually a potato and can of coconut milk knocking around so if you have these you are pretty much half way there. Either make this on its own or jazz it up into a family celebration with the Sri Lankan Pancakes and Relish
6. Prawn Noodles- this is pretty much a weekly staple for us. All store cupboard or freezer ingredients so always there when you need them
7. Warming Vegetable Stew– another all-rounder, great for winter but can be frozen and pulled out that morning to be served with a baked sweet or white potato and steamed garlicky broccoli.
Let us know what you think! Please pop some pictures of your Eight lunches on Instagram and use hashtag #eateight – we love to see your creations.